The Govt. College for Women, Thiruvananthapuram is a prestigious institution that has to its credit a history of more than 100 years of excellence in the field of women education and is a pioneering institution in the field of higher education. It is the sixth oldest college in Kerala and one of the oldest women’s colleges in the country. Started as the Sircar Girl’s School in 1864 by the Royal family of Travancore , it was elevated to the status of a First grade college and was renamed as H.H. The Maharaja’s College for Women in 1920.
The Govt. College for Women was established in 1920 with a clear mission to provide women with a modern, liberal education and thus to transform society and the nation. The college is still committed to the ideas of liberal education and recognizes the fact that times have been changed that it must adapt and evolve to keep up with the rapidly changing world. So The College addresses the needs of the society through providing quality non-formal education also.