The Old Students Association is the Alumni association of the college which started in 1936. Miss. L.C.M. Ouwerkerk, the then college Principal took the initiative in forming the OSA, but she did not succeeded to form the association as no alumnae come forward to join the association. The Principal then opened the membership to the members of the staff, though they were not alumnae of the college. However over the years the Association has grown and developed into an effective body that has forged close links with the activities of the college. The membership of the Association is open to all alumnae plus the female members of the teaching staff. The Principal of the college is the President of the Association. The OSA has had a phenomenal growth ever since Princess Gowri Parvathi Bayi, an alumna of the college, took charge as the secretary.
The association has always been willing to co-operate with and lend support to the developmental activities of the college. The Open air auditorium of the college has been the generous gift of Princess Gowri Parvathi Bayi. The OSA has donated Rs. 50,000/- for the Centenary Celebration of the college in 1997. It has also provided 20 laminated tables for the waiting room built by the PTA of the college. The OSA has contributed Rs. 85000/- for the face-lift of the college in connection with the inspection of NAAC team in 2005.
Since its establishment in 1897, the College has succeeded in producing an endless array of illustrious, motivated and meritorious women who have enlightened and enriched this state in so many different ways. This institution can be legitimately proud of a galaxy of alumnae who have distinguished themselves in various fields. Some of the most unforgettable alumnae of the past and present are :
1. Padmabhushan Lakshmi N. Menon, Dy. Secretary of State Foreign Affairs in Pandit Nehru’s Ministry.
2. Padmasree Mary Punnen Lokuse, the first woman Surgeon General of the State of Travancore.
3. Smt. Anna Chandy, the first woman Judge in the High Court of Kerala.
4. Smt. Fatima Beevi, the first woman Justice in the Supreme Court, former Governor of Tamil Nadu.
5. Princess Gowri Lakshmi Bayi, Poet, Columnist, author of monumental work on Sree Padmanabha Swami Temple, Glimpses of Kerala Culture, recipient of several awards.
6. Smt. Suseela Gopalan, Minister in the E.K.Nayanar Ministry in Kerala.
7. Smt. Sugatha Kumari, distinguished Malayalam Poetess, Social Worker, Environmentalist, former Chairperson of Women’s Commission, Founder of Abhaya Gramam.
8. Prof. Hephzibah Jesudasan, Poetess, Novelist, Literary Historian.
9. Smt. Lakshmi Narayanan Nair, Professor of Music, Chairperson of Social welfare Board and of Sangeetha Nataka Academy.
10. Dr. C.K. Revamma, former Head of the Dept. of Music, Deputy Director of Collegiate Education, Playback Singer.
11. Prof. Hridaya Kumari, Critic, Educationist.
12. Smt. Bharathi Udayabhanu, Member of Parliament.
13. Dr. K. Janakikutty Amma, Occupied a high post in the Ministry of Defense during the tenure of Sri. V.K. Krishna Menon.
14. Smt. Nabeesa Ummal, former Principal of University College and MLA.
15. Parivrajika A.K. Rajamma, Head of Vinoba Niketan institution for the depressed classes.
16. Smt. K. Gourikutty Amma, Social worker, Founder of SNV Sadanam, a hostel for Women, in Thiruvananthapuram.
17. Smt. Sara Thomas, well-known Novelist, Winner of Sahithya Academy Award.
18. Smt. Rajeswari Menon, distinguished Veena and Jalatharangam Player, Recipient of Sangeetha Nataka Academy Award.
19. Dr. K. Omana Kutty, famous Carnatic Vocalist.
20. Smt. P.R. Syamala, Popular Novelist.
21. Dr. Chandrika, Eminent Short Story Writer (pen name – Chandramathy) and Prof. of English.
22. Dr. Leela Omchery, renowned Musicologist.
23. Smt. M.S. Rugmini, former Director of Door Darsan Kendra.
24. Smt. Sobha Koshy, Post Master General, Thiruvananthapuram.
25. Smt. Vijayalakshmy, won prize in Veteran Olympics, Buffalo, New York.
26. Dr. Vasantha Syam Sundar, Winner of several prizes at State and National level, Asian Record Holder in High Jump.
27. Smt. Sarada mani, distinguished Coach in Sports and Athletics in Maharashtra.
28. Smt. Lucy Paul, Principal, Physical Education College, Kozhikode, University Record Holder in Long Jump for several years; represented the State in National Meets.
29. Smt. Gwendolyn Miranda, Represented the State in Athletics at National level.
30. Smt. Indira Ramakrishna Pillai, famous Social Worker.
31. Smt. J. Lalithambika, I.A.S., Popular Columnist.
32. Smt. Sathi Nair I.A.S., First Woman Chief Secretary of Andhra Pradesh.
33. Padmasree K.S. Chithra, famous Playback Singer, Winner of National and state Awards.
34. Dr. K. Arundhathi, Professor of Music, Playback Singer.
The OSA has also instituted the following prizes.
1. Sree Chithira Thirunal Prize – for the Best Outgoing Student of the College. (instituted on His Highness’ 60th Birthday)
2. Elizabeth David Prize – for the student who secures the maximum marks for B.A. (Arts Group)
3. K.R. Indira Prize – for the student who secures the maximum marks for B.Sc. (Science Group)
4. Parukkutty Amma prize – for the student who gets the highest marks in B.A. History.
5. Ratnam Ramaswami Prize – for the best outgoing sports woman.
6. Nalina Kumari Prize – for the student who stands first in Malayalam Poetry writing Competition.
7. Rugmini Ramakurup Prize – for the student who secures the highest marks in B.A. Music. (Instituted by Rajeswari Menon)
8. The OSA is also giving scholarships of Rs 1000/- each to three of the brightest and neediest students of B.A., B.Sc. and B.Com classes. The OSA takes an active participation in every activity of the college and has become un-detachable part of Govt. College for women.
March 08, 2019
March 03, 2019
Dept.of Economics :Capacity building and knowledge management programme 2018-19. Workshop led by Dr .K.P.Vijayakumar( former Associate Professor and Head , Dept of Library and Information Science, University of Kerala).Theme: Exploring E- Resources: sources and Methods. 6 March 2019. 10 a.m- 1.00 p.m.venue: Seminar Hall
March 03, 2019
Department of Economics : launches Entrepreneurship Development Programme. Ms. Geethu Sivakumar, 24 year old CEO of Pace Hightech interacts with students who aspire to become entrepreneurs.1 March 2019: 9.30 a.m to 1.30 pm.Venue: seminar hall
March 03, 2019
Department of Economics : Orientation programme for students of all colleges – How to prepare for General studies paper in various competitive examinations. By Sri Jaikar( Limca Book of records holder in career guidance) On 16 Feb 2019.From 9.30 a m to 1.30 p m.
February 14, 2019
There are no upcoming events at this time.